Friday, December 28, 2012

Bikram yoga - session 4

So I woke up yesterday feeling really sore. I didn't sleep well as I woke up about 4:30 and didn't get back to sleep until after 6. Woke up about 10:30 and noticed it was going to be over 30 degrees. So dragged myself out of bed and took the dogs for a 3km or so walk. After that I was feeling better. Thought about going to the 6pm session but then decided I really couldn't be bothered driving to prahran and I thought I'd go try out white guy cooks Thai as he was going to be in footscray park.

Didn't sleep well again. Probably fell asleep around 2am then woke up early again, dozed and got up at 9:30 to put the dogs out. Lazy morning reading as I found out there was a gunman loose nearby (that explains the helicopter over head for hours) so I wasn't in a hurry to leave the house. Made the mistake of going to a new fish and chip shop for a burger and fries. Felt awful afterwards. Was supposed to be meeting my sister for the 6pm session but she decided to go tomorrow. Decided to go anyway and make the most of my 10 day trial. Only 40 minutes early this time!! Again went into the room with 13 minutes to go. It was hot!!!

Different woman took the class today - I was impressed she remembered my name after our only interaction being at reception when I walked in and gave my name. The room was pretty fully. A girl set up near me and kept waving her towel around in getting set up which meant more heat waves for me (was in a bit of a grumpy mood). More of the same in the class. I found the heat harder than last class. I did feel better though in one move I wasn't the only one just standing waiting for it to finish. The majority of the class were. I can't seem to extend my leg straight whilst my hands are under my foot, which as I was reminded meant I hadn't even started the posture yet. However one leg was easier than the other balance wise.

The woman was good at getting the reminders through to you as you were trying to do the moves. She also seemed intent to get me doing a back bend thing on my knees with at least one elbow on the ground. She reckoned I was an inch off the ground. For the forward leg bend thing she spent time explaining the move to the group which was good. You make a hook with 2fingers and wrap around your big toes. Then walk your legs back to straighten them, then bend forwards. She looked really impressive in her demo. So second time around I attempted straighter legs and it killed. Apparently you had to straighten your legs and tighten your thighs, etc...

During the ground bit I got a bit over the heat (she did go and open the door when the ground work started so maybe the room was too hot again??). I think also I found it uncomfortable doing stuff like the bow move on my stomach as it made me feel a bit dodgy. But a little bit later got back into the swing of things though was still super happy when the class ended. Stayed and did some stretching then headed outside for coconut water. Left after a shower trying to make the local Vietnamese place before it closed for some dinner. Had a protein shake in the car. Was feeling better than last time. Had dinner and drank the last of the sugary flavored mineral water (bad), and had ice cream with m&ms (my own mcflurry!!). So really need to have some water!!

Supposed to be getting up for the 8am class and as its 10:30pm I really should head to bed. Still finding the class tough mentally!! Even after 4 sessions. Not to the point of wanting to leave, just to the "have we finished yet??"

A few positives however are that my shoulders seemed not to rise so much today, so I think my awareness of that has improved, my arms were looking good in the class, and I was in a better mood when I was at home after class than I was before. I really had to drag myself there today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment