Friday, September 14, 2012

12WBT Blog-A-Day Challenge #14 – My Favourite Recipe

Today’s Blog-A-Day Challenge question is: What is your favourite recipe?

I'll take this opportunity to have a whinge about how much time I'm now spending in the kitchen. Granted I'm eating breakfast which I didn't use to do, preparing lunch to take to work which I never used to do, and cooking dinners - sometimes in advance. I do miss my nights where I would spend a lot of it in front of the tv with the dogs.  I can't overly remember what I used to cook - but I think more stir fries will be coming back after the 12 weeks - I can't see how they're not healthy for you.  The one stir fry I've made as part of the challenge tasted pretty blegh.  It was largely meat, vegies and soy sauce.  I often use a different sauce to help prepare it and spices. Maybe that stacks on the calories not sure?  Had swapped rice largely for noodles (like udon, somen, others I can't remember the name of).

As part of the 12 week challenge.  Our favourite meal so far has been the Beef and Red Wine Stew.  When I swap out a fish meal I'm generally replacing it with this one.  Even though it takes AGES to cook - its freezeable and easy to reheat whilst steaming potatoes + beans.

My favourite breakfast so far has been the boiled eggs and vegemite toast (soldiers).  Though I'm still perfecting boiling an egg.  I'm sure it's supposed to be one of those things you can't get wrong.. but recently it's been too runny to enjoy :(

I have enjoyed the meal plan of the program as I'm trying stuff I wouldn't usually - like the vegetarian shepherds pie.  And the lasagna (super easy.. but I'm not sold on using tomato soup as the base.. oh and added vegies to the recipe :)).

I think I'll have to give Erin's casserole a go!
http://eatsmarttrainhardlivelife.com/2012/09/13/12wbt-blog-a-day-challenge-14-my-favourite-recipe/

Oh - just noticed everyone else has actually posted a recipe lol
I don't think I'm allowed to post the exact recipe due to copyright blah blah but it's pretty much:

cook mushrooms, set aside
cook diced onion, celery, carrot, garlic, set aside
cook diced chuck steak until browned, add flour + mustard powder
add stock, wine, and onion mixture (I also get a bit lazy and usually just chuck in the mushrooms now)
Simmer for 1.5 hours (I then freeze it)

When eating it I let it heat up for about 30 minutes, and steam potatoes and green beans to go with it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment